Sunday, January 26, 2014

Just Give Me All the Parks and Rec Cards You Have

I got a call from my friend Dikran the other night saying he had a surprise for me. For those of you who don't know who Dikran is I guess we could call him my "Sugar Daddy". (Thanks Greg) Dikran and I started collecting together, but are interests are polar opposites. I enjoy putting together team sets, collecting cards from my PC guys, and adding generally awesome cards to my collection. He treats collecting as gambling. He only collects crazy colored relics, or big name autos. He spends hundreds on hobby boxes, hoping to get the "big hit". He has done so a few times, once pulling a $735.00 Ronda Rousey Gold Auto, but as you can see we are collect for different reasons. 

Well, he called and told me he bought some boxes online, but wouldn't tell me what he bought. He told me he failed to get anything he liked and I would be inheriting some boxes. 


Four boxes in total, two of my favorite of show on TV. I recently started to watch Parks and Rec on Netflix, but finished up all 5 seasons last week. I had been trying to get my hands on some of the cards, but since I have had bad luck with a seller on eBay, these boxes came at a great time. 

The NBA box was "lame" according to Dikran, and I will be listing one of the cards from that on eBay for him shortly. The UFC box was from 2010, and of course contained 2 redemptions. The redemptions expired in August, so I will be calling Topps tomorrow to see what they can do. I have not heard a lot of good come from the Topps redemption department, so wish me luck. 

The excitement lay inside the Parks and Rec boxes however, and I soon got cracking. After sorting for about 25 mins, I managed to put together the entire base set. This is officially my first complete set (yay!), and I have no idea what to do with the cards. I will be doing some serious organizing this weekend, in anticipation for 2014 cards and I'm sure I'll figure out where to store the set. 

I also got about a third of the foil set, but I may be receiving that in the mail soon. I bought the base set on eBay on New Year's Eve but as of a week and a half ago I still did not have it in hand. I messaged the seller and he told me the post office must have lost it. He told me he would send over the entire foil set instead. Needless to say, this was a big improvement. Well, flash forward to yesterday, I still haven't received anything. I messaged him last night and he replied this morning. He said he had to try and buy the rest of the foil cards so he would be able to send me the complete set. However, he did say he got them all and they are on their way to me now. I have a hard time believing this, but I guess I'll find out in the next few days whether or not he was lying.

The two boxes of Parks and Rec promised a total of 6 hits, and that's what I got. I'll start with the relics.


I love that these cards show the character wearing the actual relic. I happened to get a tri-colored relic, though it is obviously different than a tri-colored relic from an MLB or NFL card. Not a bad way to start of the box.


Thinking about it, you can't really go wrong with any of the hits in this product. It's not like opening a box of Topps and pulling a card from some AAAA guy from the Phillies. I genuinely want every card that comes from this set. This was no exception, and I was happy to add this to my collection.


The first auto was of office laughing stock, Jerry/Gary Gergich. I love the simplicity of the autos that come from the set. I also love the cards are designed after the intro to the show. 


Next up is Tammy 2. The hated ex-wife of the great Ron Swanson. She also happens to be Ron's wife in real life, so that's cool. More on Tammy 2 later.


This is one of the cards I was hoping to get off eBay this year, right behind a Ron Swanson auto and a Leslie Knope auto. In fact, I will try to get my hands on every base auto out there. Paul Rudd is one of my favorite funny guy actors, and he killed it in his time in the show. 


I told you I would bring up Tammy again, and for good reason. This was the "big hit" of the box, and a damned good one at that. I was hoping to finish of the box with a Swanson auto, but this will do. It is #'d 14/25, and is inscribed with "Tammy". I am currently checking ou the set checklist and I MUST GET A RON SWANSON INSCRIPTION AUTO. Take a look at his inscriptions here, and tell me you don't want an autographed card inscribed with "I have the toes I have". 

I am again extremely grateful to get my hands on these cards, and I owe Dikran even more cards now. If anybody out there has any of the other Parks and Rec autos or relics, or needs anything from the base set just let me know. I am also looking to move the UFC cards. They have no business in my collection. I have UFC cards from different years, so if you are a UFC person let me know.








No comments:

Post a Comment