Friday, February 7, 2014

Debating a Sandy Koufax PC

As I waited for my English class to start last night I was thinking about my cards. I'm sure I'm not the only one who ponders new collections, or how to sort their cards while at work or school. In fact, as I sit at my desk writing this, my mind is still on cards. I'm currently staring at a large stack of cards that have not been sorted, and I'm thinking to myself: 

Why do I even collect cards?

I never really put much thought into that. My dad collected when he was younger, so naturally I wanted to buy some packs like he did when I was a kid. 

Those memories of opening packs from Target emerged when I found a box full of my old cards about a year ago. There was no kind of organization to the cards in that box, but they piqued my interest enough to pick up some packs when I made my next trip to Target.

Well, you can see where I am now a little over a year later and blogging has played a large part in this.  It has allowed me to connect to other people who enjoy this hobby as much as I do. Blogging has also shown me that everybody collects a little differently. 

Some collectors like to collect a single player and phase out the rest of the hobby. Others like to put together team sets. Some piddle in a handful of different collections, while other stick to cards from their favorite team.

The great thing about this hobby is that you get to make all the choices. You want to collect every Tim Wallach card ever made? You're free to do so. Do you prefer to search through dime boxes to find those hidden gems? More power to you. You want to customize cards to your liking? Go for it. The point is there is no right or wrong way to collect.

Which is why I have been debating starting a Sandy Koufax PC. 



I know, I know, another PC. Apparently 12 different PC's, two ambitious projects, along with putting together the new sets as they are released isn't enough for me. 


Two different cards, one picture.....
I don't currently have a Hall of Famer as a PC interest. Adrian Beltre may get some consideration in about 10 years. Shawn Green was a great player, but he doesn't stand a chance. David Ortiz has an interesting case, but will probably be on the outside looking in. Clayton Kershaw has the best chance out of my current PC's to make it, but that's at least 20 years away. Don't forget Puig. He may hit 1000 homers while batting .500 in his career, yet won't make the Hall of Fame because he didn't play the game the "right way". But that's a whole other story. 


Wait...the same picture on two different cards again...
My point is I want to collect someone that will always be known as one of the best to play the game. Of course I wanted it to be a Dodger and the fact that Sandy did it all while playing his entire career in Brooklyn and Los Angeles makes it all the better. 




Finding Sandy's modern stuff shouldn't be too hard. As you can see, I already have quite a few Koufax cards, though Topps seriously needs to vary the pictures they use. 

Seriously Topps, a third Koufax card with the same pic?

I am much more worried about his vintage cardboard. It usually sells for a premium on eBay, and I don't want to mention how much an auto goes for. As a half broke/half cheap college student, Sandy doesn't make the best PC interest for me. 

Yup...same picture as the mini.......
But that won't stop me. I will collect affordable Koufax cards until I can afford some of the pricier stuff. I mean I'm not going to college to be broke the rest of my life...right? 


I'm pretty sure college isn't as big as a mistake as blue numbers on Sandy's uniform. I'm fairly sure the Dodgers never wore uniforms with blue numbers on the front. But what do I know, I'm no history buff. Though, I wouldn't put it past Topps to mess something up. Try calling their customer support and you'll see what I'm talking about.

  
If I don't get the opportunity to add a vintage Koufax to my PC in my lifetime it will be okay with me. I'm not in this hobby to build the most valuable collection money wise anyways. Simply adding another new card to one of my PC's, no matter the value, is good enough for me. 


If I'm not in the hobby to make money, why do I even collect cards?

Is it the adrenaline that comes trying to pull that once in a lifetime hit? Is it because I want to learn about the players that played this great game long before I was born? Is it because it brings me closer to the game I love?

Honestly it is probably all of those things. But one thing is for sure, I have fallen in love cardboard. Modern or vintage; shiny or dull; colorful or drab; 3D or diecut; I love it all. 

I plan on collecting for a long time, and I will love every minute of it. Sandy Koufax won't be the first PC I add, and certainly won't be the last. 



No comments:

Post a Comment