Thursday, February 20, 2014

Expanding on my Mini Collections: Dodgers in the Background

Most of my mini collections are self explanatory from here on out. You can check out my previous posts in this series here, here, and here


I'm definitely excited for this mini collection because it means I get to do some research. As you can see, number 15 is sliding into home at Wrigley, but who is the man behind the number. This card was produced in 1991, so I checked out the history of Dodgers uniform numbers and found out that the mystery player is Chris Gwynn. Gwynn played for the Dodgers from 1987-1991, but switched his number from 45 to 15 during the '89 season. 

Fun Fact: Chris is the brother of HOF'er Tony Gwynn and uncle of Tony Gwynn Jr. 


Ucckkk, a Giants card! As much as I dislike the Giants, I do dig this card. Theriot is an ex-Dodger (thank god), and Dee Gordon night not have a spot in LA with the recent infield acquisitions Dodger management has made. Dee Gordon does look to be out at 2nd by the way. 


Another horizontal card, this time featuring Dodgers backstop A.J Ellis. It looks like the D-Backs were winners on this play, but I cannot find any info on this game. Players don't normally run onto the field in celebration if it is a close play at the plate, so I'm chalking this up as a D-Backs win. It's pretty cool to see two A.J's on one card as well. 


A.J Ellis also makes an appearance on this card from 2013 Flagship. Even though we can't see A.J's number, it is fairly obvious who it is. Props to Topps on this card showing Hanigan diving for the ball just before it drops. 

As you can see, this is a fairly simple mini collection. I will show of these cards in groups of 18, one full binder page. These are the only 4 I have now, but I haven't searched for these much yet. If you have some you'd like to donate to the cause I'd love to hear from you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment