Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Cracking Some 2014 Donruss

My buddy Dikran decided to purchase a box of 2014 Donruss earlier this week. The big hit from the box is on eBay here, while the others were posted in my Trade Bait Tuesday post earlier today. Because he is only looking for the hits, the majority of the cards came to me.

Let's take a look at the Dodgers and a few other PC hits from the box.


Thanks to Dodgers Blue Heaven, I know that I have all nine base cards, but I am missing the Diamond Kings insert of Puig. I did, however, get my hands on a nice looking Power Plus card of my favorite Cuban. 

I also was able to land the sweet Adrian Gonzalez Press Proof to add to my A-Gon binder. It is numbered #'d 78/99, and is a welcome addition to the family. 

I dig these cards overall, though the lack of licensing is a problem on a few of the cards. Most notably the Michael Young card located in the center of the scan. Panini isn't fooling me; he is wearing a Rangers uni.


I was also able to add six awesome cards for my other various PC guys. Because of a lack of licensing, we see a ton of shots of the backs of players while they are batting (i.e Beltre). Though Panini has gotten better, there are a few things that can be improved.

I do love that Diamond Kings shot of Harper and I do have an extra up for grabs. On second thought, I will probably be sending that too Judson of My Cardboard Habit, so long as he promises not to play Wrecking Ball on his blog everyday.

The Ortiz cards look great, and the lack of licensing doesn't hurt here at all. The Hall-Worthy card has a nice texture to it, and is a good way to get around the team logo. The blue Elite Series card is also a cool card, #'d 363/999. 

Overall, 2014 Donruss is a passable product. Lack of licensing can be a bug and produces some unflattering pictures, but Panini has done a decent job getting around that. The set-list is pretty strong, particularly for my Dodgers. I plan on picking up a few of the #'d Dodgers cards from online, but will wait for the hype to go down a bit. 

If you are interested in getting your hands on some of the base cards from this set, head over here and make a claim on a team. 

No comments:

Post a Comment