Friday, May 16, 2014

Some Shiny New Cards From This Way to the Clubhouse

I completed my first trade with Mark of the superb blog, This Way to the Clubhouse. Like most trades, we had an email conversation and quickly came to a deal. 



The centerpiece of this deal was this fantastic piece of cardboard seen above. It comes from one of my favorite releases of the year, Topps Heritage. There were a few reasons why this card caught my eye other than the fact that it is a numbered Dodger card (#'d 899/999 to be exact). 

The first being the Getting a Grip pose. I stole that term from fellow blogging buddy Ethan of Playing with my Cards. If he wouldn't have highlighted awesome cards like this one, I probably would of glossed over the grip and just considered it another Dodger card. Thanks for that Ethan!

Secondly, Greinke has become a big favorite of mine recently, especially considering his performance lately. He has been great in 2014 so far, and his dominance dates back to 2013. In fact, the back of the card states, "Zack won all 5 of his August starts with a 1.23 ERA". If that isn't ace status, I don't know what is. 

Finally, this card grabbed my attention because I have decide to start a Zack Greinke PC. I have always been a fan of the Dodger righty, in fact I used to clamor for a trade to LA on Dodger threads late at night as far back as 2007. I will probably get to posting more about the PC this weekend or next week, but studying for finals is a priority at the moment.

Whew! I don't think I have ever devoted that much writing to one card before. That said, let's move onto another sweet card from Mark.



Oooohhhh, shiny! The scan didn't come out as awesome as I was expecting, but this is an awesome card nonetheless. It may be hard to tell, but this sweet Shawn Green card comes from 2000 Bowman's Best Franchise 2000. That is somewhat of a confusing considering the double use of 2000. I guess Topps really got into the turn of the century stuff that was going on at the time.

Thanks again for the trade Mark! I will be sure to let you know when I have some more cards set aside for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment