Monday, September 8, 2014

Vintage Cardboard Is The Best Cardboard

I recently made a trade with a fellow named Steve, whom I met on Twitter. We actually started out trading cards on the Topps Bunt app, but quickly moved into trading for some real cards. You know....the kind that matter. 

Steve said he rescued some vintage Topps cards from his parents attic, though none of the cards were in great condition. I am not too concerned about the condition of vintage cards I add to my collection, so this was no big deal for me. 


I decided to start with the team card from '72, if only to mention how badly I'd like to see team cards return. They aren't always the most aesthetically pleasing cards, but I think it would be cool to see in Topps Flagship today.

I am becoming a bigger fan of '72 each time I get new cards. On top of one of the better designs in Topps history, we see some great photos in the set. I had never heard of Jim Lefebvre before I received this card, but I really dig his one batting glove. I'm no vintage expert, but it is the oldest card I have of a player wearing batting gloves. Pretty cool to see.

I'm not so sure why I singled out this card (I scanned these weeks ago), but I really enjoy it. Downing had a career year in 1971, his first year in Dodger Blue. As such, this is also his very first card as a member of the Dodgers. 


Yay! Another team card. This one hails from 1966 Topps (We are going way back in time here). If I knew more about the Dodger teams of the past I might be able to point out a few players on here. I do know that Sandy Koufax, Ron Fairly, and the aforementioned Jim Lefebvre are featured on this card somewhere, but that is only because I looked at the back of the card. 

Fun Fact: Jim Lefebvre led the Dodgers in homers in 1965.......with 12.

If you don't like team cards you'll be happy to know this is the last one in this post. Most of you know that this is from 1973, but many of you would be shocked to learn this is my favorite set from the 1970's. Gasp! In a decade of phenomenal cardboard, somehow 1973 came out on top for me. That said, '73 did not run away with that crown and I'm sure my opinion will change over the years. 


The most enjoyable thing about vintage cardboard is the history behind each card. Not only the story of the card's journey into my hands, but the history of the player and the team featured on the card. Every time I pick up a new piece of vintage cardboard, I spend at least five minutes reading about the player on the card. Now I know Osteen pitched a 5-hit shutout against the Twins in Game Three of the 1965 World Series. Thanks for that Mr. Osteen!


Hey, it's Davy Lopes! I would love to get my hands on a Lopes auto one of these days. I guess I need to make a cardboard to-do list.


If 1973 is my favorite set from the 70's, then 1978 is my least favorite. That said, I do enjoy this card of Doug Rau. Which, by the way, is another new name in my Dodger vocabulary. Speaking of vocabulary, check out this profanity laced tirade between Rau and Tommy Lasorda in the 1977 World Series. Definitely NSFW. 


Woohoo! Another '75 for the collection. This time Rick Auerbach is the lucky player being inserted into my 70's binder. Another new name, I discovered Auerbach was one of the final Dodgers to wear the number 1 for the team. The number 1 was retired by the club in honor of Pee Wee Reese way back in 1984. 

It took me a few minutes to find some info on the final card of this great trade. It comes form a set realeased in 1970 called Topps Scratch Off. It was actually an insert set in Topps that year, but that is all the research I did. Anybody willing to give me some more info?

Thanks again for the great trade, Steve! 

No comments:

Post a Comment