Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Chavez Ravining Customs: 2014 Base Set

I hinted at it yesterday, but I will spill the beans today. I am creating my own set of custom cards, and I will release them here on the blog. 



Each team will have a unique coloring and logo scheme, dependent on the era they played in and etc. I have created both horizontal and vertical designs, though the cards are still a work in process. I currently have about 25 customs completed.

You may see a bit of a resemblance to 1963 Topps, and rightfully so. My custom set is largely based off of one of my favorite sets of all-time. Rather than incorporate a B&W photo of the player in a circle, I opted to go with the team logo. I also decided to do away with the borders that are the norm for Topps Flagship. Basically, you are looking at a crappy version of 1963 Topps Stadium Club. 

Anyway, I currently have a 240-card checklist including cards from every team, and. unlike Topps, I will have more than one or two cards from teams like the Padres and Brewers. (Marcus and Tony rejoice!)  

I also have a few insert/subsets in the works, though I will probably end up releasing those a bit later.

There is also the question of what to do with all of these custom designs. Chances are the cards will be posted here and never seen again, though I am considering printing them out. Of course, I would take a trip down to Kinko's to get them done right. If I go that route I will be looking at 240 "true 1/1's" to disperse throughout the blogosphere. We'll see. 

The first card in the set will be released tomorrow, with cards being released at least once a day after that. I will still continue to do my regular posting of real cards (time permitting), so don't think that the blog just turned into one of those custom blogs. Please leave me some feedback on the cards. They won't all turn out as beautiful as I'd like, but I'd like to do as best as I can. If you have any suggestions for players that should be added to the set just let me know. Thanks again for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment